Foray into Cosplay – Queen Amidala headdress

When making clothes I always draw on my passions for fantasy and science fiction, sometimes even creating my own characters like a Neptunian mining manager or a cyberpunk bio-hacker. Now I am going to go one step further and delve into the world of science fiction and fantasy emulation by way of cosplay!

My last cosplay creation was Seven of Nine for Destination Star Trek London last year. I made a silver catsuit and papier mache cortical implants:

7of9-1 7of9-2

Getting to meet some of my Star Trek heroes and getting complements from other fans made this one of the best weekends ever!

 

Now I am switching franchise and heading off to Star Wars. I am going to make a copy of Queen Amidala’s red invasion outfit, starting with the headdress.

Padmé Amidala's first appearance in Star Wars ...

Padmé Amidala’s first appearance in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

No real person has hair long and thick enough to become part of the headdress (and if you read the rest of my blog you know I certainly don’t) so I have ordered a wig for the long pigtail at the back and hair extensions for the coil over the head. I intend to pad out this coil with a length of foam tube from a swimming “noodle” and make the rest in papier mache with embelishment.

 

This will probably be one of the biggest not purely sewing projects I have ever undertaken and I am raring to get going. I hope to post images and a detailed account of every step as I get to work!

All Tied Up Dress – Completion

It has been a couple of weeks since I started my “All Tied Up Dress”. I needed to have a big stash clear-out and although a little dress like this doesn’t go far to use up fabric I managed to use some of the fab pieces of fabric I have lying around particularly a great piece of vintage star wars sheets which I used for the back skirt and some of the back ties! At the front I used a red white and blue starry fabric that I bought as a remnant on Etsy a while back (I think maybe this was also from some old sheets). All the bits for which I didn’t have fancy fabrics I filled in with plain pure cotton fabrics that I had lying around (mostly because I always err on the side of caution when buying fabric for shop bought patterns and end up with metres and metres too much).

I didn’t line any of the dress apart from the tie back and front facing to keep it nice and cool for summer and I made it a slightly long mini so it is always easy to wear without tights!

Once I managed to find time to sew, it was quick to make up and I will definitely use the pattern again! The only downside to this dress is it is almost impossible (without acrobat-like flexibility) to reach to tie up all the back yourself!

P1000522-2 P1000521-2 P1000525-2 P1000524

 

All Tied-Up Stashbusting Dress

The crochet dress is coming along nicely but I can never stray too far from my sewing machine so I have been designing a nice simple dress. I love the idea of backless dresses but often feel a bit exposed whilst wearing them. I wanted to make a dress that was almost backless to show off a bit of skin between a row of straps down the back. To make these adjustable I decided to make them fabric ties.

Like most sewing aficionados I have a rather large stash of left over and excess fabric (I always always err heavily on the side of caution when buying fabric particularly if it has a nap). I decided to make this dress completely out of things from my stash. The star (no pun intended) attraction of this dress will be the back skirt which I am making out of a leftover piece of vintage star wars fabric that I bought of Etsy months ago and have only used snippets from!

This is the back of the skirt:

P1000490

For the front of the dress I matched some Captain America-esque starry fabric and some red cotton fabric:

P1000492

This is just the cutting process, it has been in my stash box too long and is in good need of an iron! For the back bodice I extended it into long strips to form the ties:

P1000495

I wanted to go for a patchwork mish-mash look and use up fabric I had lying around. With the tie at the back of the bodice I am just going to add some elastic at the back of the waist instead of a zip opening. Now to start sewing…….