Sorry for the long break in posting, I have been moving house and hence have had to contend with the usual switch-over time before getting the phone line up and running!
In the meantime I have been busy sewing and creating and I have completed my pleated top in time for the sun to come out!
I decided to have a one inch pleat about every four inches, although I followed the stripes in the fabric rather than the exact measurements. I decided to line the top with a yellow viscose jersey (very stretchy) to make it secure (very important in a strapless top). I calculated the stretch in the jersey and cut it so that it would fit over my shoulders when completely stretched.
I pressed the pleats into the striped fabric before beginning and then hemmed the bottom by hand and pressed it again.
I attached the lining and top together and added a snap fastening for the striped fabric as it has no stretch to it.
I love the way it turned out although if I were to make this again I would use bigger pleats to give a more flared look!