Crochet dress completion

It took time (although not as long as I thought) and perseverance (although not as much as I thought, except the part where I made a mistake and had to unravel 20 rows!) but the dress is finally done! I didn’t put on the collar as I felt it was too fussy and with the yarn I had used I thought I would have great difficulty getting it over my head. I did some rather extensive blocking to stretch the dress into an appropriate size and I still think it is more of a tunic (clearly I am not as bold as a girl from the 60s!)

blocking crochet dress

I think it has come out rather well! It certainly preserves the 60s/70s aesthetic and the colour is bang on trend both for the SS13 and AW13 collections on the catwalk.

P1000549-2 P1000552-2 P1000548-2

Return from internet blackout and ‘Neat Pleats’ completion

Sorry for the long break in posting, I have been moving house and hence have had to contend with the usual switch-over time before getting the phone line up and running!

In the meantime I have been busy sewing and creating and I have completed my pleated top in time for the sun to come out!

I decided to have a one inch pleat about every four inches, although I followed the stripes in the fabric rather than the exact measurements. I decided to line the top with a yellow viscose jersey (very stretchy) to make it secure (very important in a strapless top). I calculated the stretch in the jersey and cut it so that it would fit over my shoulders when completely stretched.

P1000530

I pressed the pleats into the striped fabric before beginning and then hemmed the bottom by hand and pressed it again.

P1000532

I attached the lining and top together and added a snap fastening for the striped fabric as it has no stretch to it.

I love the way it turned out although if I were to make this again I would use bigger pleats to give a more flared look!

20130709_180324 20130707_153152 20130709_180211