The crochet dress is coming along nicely but I can never stray too far from my sewing machine so I have been designing a nice simple dress. I love the idea of backless dresses but often feel a bit exposed whilst wearing them. I wanted to make a dress that was almost backless to show off a bit of skin between a row of straps down the back. To make these adjustable I decided to make them fabric ties.
Like most sewing aficionados I have a rather large stash of left over and excess fabric (I always always err heavily on the side of caution when buying fabric particularly if it has a nap). I decided to make this dress completely out of things from my stash. The star (no pun intended) attraction of this dress will be the back skirt which I am making out of a leftover piece of vintage star wars fabric that I bought of Etsy months ago and have only used snippets from!
This is the back of the skirt:
For the front of the dress I matched some Captain America-esque starry fabric and some red cotton fabric:
This is just the cutting process, it has been in my stash box too long and is in good need of an iron! For the back bodice I extended it into long strips to form the ties:
I wanted to go for a patchwork mish-mash look and use up fabric I had lying around. With the tie at the back of the bodice I am just going to add some elastic at the back of the waist instead of a zip opening. Now to start sewing…….